History & Vision
TriStar Skyline opened on September 23, 2000 as a replacement facility for Nashville Memorial Hospital in Madison. The 386,000 square-foot, 213-bed replacement hospital continues Nashville Memorial’s long history of excellence in neurosciences, spine care, oncology, orthopaedics, critical care, neurosurgery and emergency services.
Planning for Nashville Memorial Hospital began in the 1950s, with the original charter filed as Memorial Hospital in 1959. In 1960, the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce hired consultants to analyze greater Nashville’s healthcare needs. Their report cited an inadequate number of hospital beds and a lack of inbound transportation routes as reasons for building a hospital east of the Cumberland River. Originally conceived as a 150-bed hospital, its capacity was increased during planning to 211 beds. Federal grants and private donations funded the building of the facility.
An auxiliary, which consisted of a group of volunteers that formed in 1962, helped to raise additional building and equipment funds. The not-for-profit facility was started by Hubert L. Worrell, chairman of the Board of Trust, and Dr. Jefferson C. Pennington, Jr., president of the board of trust.
The late Dr. Thomas F. Frist, Sr. (1910-1998), co-founder of HCA, envisioned a new hospital north of downtown Nashville that would exceed the expectations of patients and families in Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky. He was personally involved in selecting the site and the concept for TriStar Skyline.
Dr. Frist envisioned more than a state-of-the-art facility for TriStar Skyline. He once said, “It is not bricks and mortar and equipment that make a hospital. It is the warmth and compassion and attitude of good employees which leads to quality care.” In honor of Dr. Frist, Sr., a statue of the late HCA co-founder graces the lobby of TriStar Skyline. Nationally renowned sculptor, Alan LeQuire, created the statue. LeQuire is best known today for his monumental Athena Partheonos, the largest indoor statue in the western world, located at The Parthenon in Nashville.
TriStar Skyline opened its doors on September 23, 2000. Located at 3441 Dickerson Pike on the highest point in Davidson County, TriStar Skyline is a modern facility, featuring all private patient rooms and valet parking. Offering advanced medical capabilities, TriStar Skyline is particularly known for its neurosurgery, neurology, oncology, orthopedics, and emergency services. Its 59-acre campus is also home to the 200,000 square-foot TriStar Skyline Medical Plaza, which provides convenient access to physician offices and a pharmacy.
The state-of-the-art design of TriStar Skyline allowed for an expansion in services in several areas. In 2002, TriStar Skyline opened its rehabilitation center, formerly its transitional care unit. This comprehensive, interdisciplinary, inpatient program is staffed by professionals who specialize in rehabilitation. The center is self-contained and includes 22 spacious, beautifully decorated, private patient rooms with large baths, a therapy gym, and treatment rooms as well as the “activities of daily living” (ADL) areas, including a kitchen, dining area and laundry room. The center serves patients with a variety of diagnoses, including stroke, multiple trauma, total joint replacement (hip or knee), arthritis in multiple joints, fracture of the hip or femur, amputation and neurological disorders.
TriStar Skyline’s Emergency Department (ED) is among the busiest in the region and offers patient-focused family-centered care in all areas. TriStar Skyline is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.